The Unison Fund – Canada’s music industry charity, providing counselling and emergency relief services to the Canadian music community – announced the launch of Band Together In Unison, a Million Dollar charitable campaign in support of The Unison Fund’s continued efforts to combat the COVID-19 pandemic’s financial and psychological devastation of the Canadian music industry. Several major artists and industry organizations including Amazon Music, Nickelback, Eleanor McCain, The Tragically Hip and more have rallied to support the music community here at home with generous financial donations that will go towards the campaign’s goal of raising $1,000,000.
“It’s inspiring to see our music community come together to support and lift up our peers during this difficult time,” said Amanda Power, Executive Director, The Unison Fund. “While the donations raised will significantly help, much more is needed. We encourage those who have the means to support this charitable effort so that all music people affected by this crisis can receive the financial assistance they need.”
#BandTogetherInUnison will serve to amplify The Unison Fund’s efforts and focus on helping those most in need, both as an awareness campaign and as a call to action for further donations to assist with the demand and urgency for support of the Canadian music industry during this difficult time.
Since the start of the pandemic 12 months ago, The Unison Fund has dispersed $2.3M+ in funds through financial assistance alone reaching over 2,200+ vulnerable music and entertainment people and their families in need – a 3,021% increase in emergency financial assistance applications in 2020 alone and the demand for The Unison Fund’s counselling services continue to rise. In 2020, The Unison Fund saw a 208% increase in crises intervention counselling cases and a 142% increase in general counselling cases. “THIS IS CRITICAL,” shares Power. “It is more important than ever to collectively come together to ensure that The Unison Fund can continue to help where they are needed most.”
For those unable to support the campaign with a financial gift, The Unison Fund is asking everyone from actors, athletes, celebrities, musicians and more to MAKE SOME NOISE and CONNECT SOCIALLY by sharing key messages found HERE.
· Since March 2020, the industry has reported a 92% average revenue loss (Canadian Live Music Association).
· 64% of the live music industry is at risk of permanent closure (CLMA).
· 1 in 4 arts, entertainment, and recreation workers lost their job in 2020 (CLMA).
· 85% of professional musicians agree that without live performances, they will have a difficult time making a living (CLMA).
· In 2020, The Unison Fund saw a 3,021% increase in applications for emergency financial aid
· Since the start of the pandemic, the number of urgent mental health crisis intervention cases have increased by 208%, with a 142% increase in demand for counselling services.
· The Unison Fund’s work in response to the COVID-19 crisis reinforces our vital role in Canada's arts and entertainment ecosystem. Unison has helped 2,200+ music community
ABOUT UNISON FUND
Unison Fund, Canada’s music industry charity, provides counselling and emergency relief services to the Canadian music community in times of hardship or difficulties. For over a decade, Unison has been committed to helping producers, engineers, singers/songwriters, musicians, production crews, and thousands more through our financial assistance and counselling and health solutions programs. For more information, please visit: www.unisonfund.ca. If you can, PLEASE make a donation by visiting www.unisonfund.ca or text the word ‘UNISON’ to 45678 and follow the prompts to donate $10, $20, or $25. Every donation counts. Every donation helps. Let’s keep Canadian music and entertainment ALIVE.
WE NEED YOUR VOICE. LET’S MAKE SOME NOISE. #BANDTOGETHERINUNISON