SING! The Toronto International Vocal Arts Festival marks its 11th year with a return to both in-person and virtual events from May 26 to June 5, 2022. The full schedule, tickets and festival passes are available now at singtoronto.com.
Canada’s premier a cappella festival includes 60 free and ticketed performances and workshops, crossing cultural, demographic and musical styles from around the globe. Events will take place in various downtown Toronto venues, with some virtual livestream options available.
This year’s festival spans music, film, art theatre, and education. Highlights include:
- SING! Aca-Film Festival - The first ever! A trilogy of funny, moving short films that explore stories of resilience across artistic genres, featuring animation (including a voiceover appearance by renowned actor Colin Mochrie), live-action, spoken word, and dance—all with original a cappella scores.
- SING! School Workshops - A full day of workshops for students grade 7-12 by Soweto Gospel Choir stars Jessica Mbangeni and Dumza Maswana, featuring a presentation by iconic singer/songwriter/guitarist and published poet Rik Emmett
- SING! in the Clubs: Art Battle - Pairing “competitive painting” with live performances by Brez, Efaybee, and Alexinho, celebrity beatboxers from France
- SING! in Concert: Celebrating the Musical: A tribute to Broadway as you’ve never heard it before, featuring Jeff Madden (Jersey Boys, Come from Away) and AJ Bridel (Kinky Boots)
- SING! in Concert: Take 6 - These 10-time Grammy Award winning artists—the most awarded a cappella group in history—showcase extraordinary vocals, with a set list encompassing straight-ahead jazz, pop, adult R & B, doo-wop, and blues
- SING! in Concert: The Kinsey Sicks Dragapella - America’s Favourite Dragapella® Beautyshop Quartet combines music and comedy with an evening of stunning harmonies, subversive satire, and outlandish drag
- SING! Mass Choir Event - Choirs, individuals, and world-class artists sing as one in an evening concert, following a full day of workshops
- Slaight Music SING! Toronto Collegiate A Cappella Competition: A cappella university groups shine virtually in live performance and music video categories (online)
- SING! Free: Ontario Place Trillium Park - Free daytime outdoor concerts with community choirs, emerging artists, and established local artists (in-person or online)
- SING! and Learn: Workshops – Live, interactive educational workshops facilitated by the world’s best a cappella professionals (online)
- Afterglow Jam Sessions: Following headliner concerts from June 1 to 5, SING! brings the a cappella community together and offers the opportunity to get up close and personal with the artists at a nearby pub, open to everyone
Ticket prices range from free to $80, with all-access festival passes, live concert passes, and virtual festival passes available for $50-$200. Half-price tickets and passes are available for health care workers, arts workers, students, and the underemployed.
“SING! is excited to be returning to in-person events following two years of virtual programming,” says Bill King, SING’s Director of Strategy and Engagement. “Our performers and clinicians are looking forward to reconnecting live with the energy and camaraderie of the a cappella community.”
Several events will be offered virtually via livestream, for those who want to watch from the comfort and convenience of home. Last year, audiences tuned in from across Canada, the US, Latin America, Europe and Asia.
“We’re proud to be supporting both our audience and performers in these still uncertain times,” says SING Co-Manager Patricia Silver. “Our ticket pricing accommodates buyers of all budgets, while still fairly compensating artists.”
Since its launch in 2012, SING! has expanded to several SING! partner festivals in Texas, as well as SING! Edinburgh at Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
More information, schedules, tickets, and festival passes are available at singtoronto.com.